Sunday, November 28, 2010

India, please take note

India is in many ways an absolutely terrific country. The people are friendly, the economic progress impressive. But there are a few obstacles to realising its full potential; corruption, extreme poverty and bureaucracy are a few of them, but there is no point yelling and demanding that it does something about it, because those are relatively complicated matters, which will take a lot of time and effort to resolve.

The question of economic literacy on a corporate level is an entirely different matter. If you want to realise your full potential as a company, you really must learn how to bundle goods correctly. This is no joke, as the following story reveals an ocean of incompetency on the part of the owners of PVR Cinemas. There you can buy a menu, consisting of a Pepsi and large popcorn for 120 rupees. I am all fine with that, it is just that I would much rather prefer a bottle of water with my popcorns. Of course, it is not possible to exchange the Pepsi for the water, because rules were not meant to be broken. I can, however, order a large popcorn and a bottle of water without ordering the menu. Now it costs... 100 rupees! This immensely incompetent company simply refuses to let me pay 20 rupees extra for the water. I would boycott them as a matter of principle, if it were not for the fact that I leave with more money left in my wallet than necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment