Friday, September 24, 2010

The Indian cellphone ordeal

There are a few things I'm unable to grasp when it comes to India. Admittedly, many things here are different from the way they are at home, but that doesn't change the fact that most things can be understood on at least some level. At this particular moment I find the cellphone issue a little bit extra incomprehensible.

Getting a prepaid sim card is more complicated than at home, however still quite manageable, as long as you have a passport size photo of yourself and haven't forgotten your dorm address in Ahmedabad, your permanent address in your home country and your father's name. Yes, for some reason beyond my imagination you have to fill in your dad's name, information about whom has now been filed in what I imagine is the very large archive of Airtel.

After all this work one could at least hope to have as little as possible to do with one's network provider, as any contacts would most likely result in further paperwork. Yesterday I had to top up my sim card, so I went to the Airtel kiosk on campus expecting it to be a rather straightforward process. I gave my phone to the people on duty, who then made a phone call and texted some messages, using sometimes mine, sometimes their own phone. They then told me that the company had for some reason deactivated my card, making all calls and texting impossible. Imagine my surprise as I received this information as I had been texting people that same day. They then told me to wait ten minutes. Now, it's been activated again, they said.

Now, this would have been good news of course had they been true. You see, the same evening as I attempted to text Lovisa I was suddenly unable to text or phone anybody. (Mind you, everything had worked brilliantly up until the point when I first tried to make use of Airtel's services, which they of course charge for.) Somewhat restless I returned to the kiosk after today's lunch and did my best to explain that I was now perfectly able to receive any incoming messages that came my way, however unable to return the favour. The woman then yet again made some phone calls and texted some messages. After ten minutes she said: "Now, it's working again." I'd better cherish the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment