Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An Ahmedabad cappuccino


This week has so far been pretty, dare I say very, calm. Most days I only have one class; the exception being today, when I had none. This is because I've made a few changes to my schedule - dropped a few courses and added others. Some of my courses haven't even started yet, which contributes to the rather sleepy situation here. This Saturday will, however, see the beginning of Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Restructuring, which is known to be a killer even among Indian students. It's also known to be one of the best courses on offer, so even if it's bound to bring with it a substantial workload, I'm still looking forward to it.

Today we did a few excursions, first to the wonderful café Chocolate House, which really is exactly what it sounds like. It was good indeed, however as with everything western in Ahmedabad they try desperately to get it right, yet somehow fail every time. It's too spicy (almost everything), too salty (pesto penne), too watery (brownies, hot chocolate, mocktails), too sweet (coffee) or too really anything. Therefore, imagine my surprise when we discovered a Lavazza café at the Iscon Mall, which served an almost decent cappuccino - a taste of home in the same sense as the occasional sip of Indian whisky mixed with Pepsi. I was also able to get my hands on the last copy of Joe Sacco's comic book Footnotes in Gaza, and that at a pleasant 15% discount.

Speaking of food and drink - I've been desperately losing weight ever since I arrived, to the very much so expressed concern of Lovisa, my girlfriend. It seems I've now been able to halt the development, assisted by some protein supplements. I shall, though, be careful not to make any alterations to the carefully composed mix of sugary biscuits and fatty crisps I regularly consume at night, so not to jeopardize my recovery.

The intricate decorations of a 16th century Ahmedabad mosque on picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment